Thursday, 22 February 2007

miss you, mum

This morning, as I made my way to the office thru Surrey Quays Road, the street I have come to know very well in the last year, my heart was heavy as I joined the rush of early morning workers making their way across the river.. The fact that I'll be leaving London in less than 2 days suddenly kicked in..

It's almost four weeks since I got back from Malaysia. 2 months since my world took a sudden 180 degree turn. The days have run together far too quickly. I'm leaving London for good this Friday morning , a decision I made almost immediately after getting back home to the shocking reality of my mum slipping away from her illness, from our lives in a cloud of morphine that I still struggle to understand, let alone accept. Every time someone says..'I'm sorry about your mum..' or 'you are a tough cookie' or 'you got to be strong' or 'its fate' or 'He loved her more'.. I just wish these words could make me feel the way they intended.. We were the typical mother and daughter. Had our fair share of spats and made up later as though nothing happened. Hours of gossip over anything, everything or just nothing.. I miss you mum. much more than what these words can say or the world can ever imagine...



a little something about her..

She was born on the 10th of December in 1958 in Singapore. The third of 5 siblings, her bonding with them was more than just siblings. On the 20th of November 1977 she was married to our dad and relocated to Malaysia, for good. In their 29 blissful years of marriage, they were blessed with a son and two daughters, forming the little family we are mutually proud of. Her world then revolved around her husband and kids who till date immensely depended on her for everything. She was a live-in friend anyone could ever wish for.

Mum was also a very religious person. Her devotion to God was beyond norm. We use to call Temple her second home as she never misses any auspicious poojas, always there, praying for us and our happiness.. The home we live today is the product of her other passion in life, gardening and home decoration. Every single brick and object in it screams her in a way that’ll remind us of the wonderful person she was till the day God decided that He loved her more than we did. Her passing away was unexpected, but she will forever be in our heart…

‘A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take’

3 comments:

Mirebella said...

Unfortunately, its one of those things that just happens and we know are reality but when the time actually comes by - we get hit smack in the face. There really isnt anything left to say now innit?

Be strong. And take care of yourself.

Natasha said...

I'm so glad you're blogging again.It's wonderful that you're able to blog some of what you feel. Your post on your mom has moved me and i'm sure moved many others.Will see you soon.Looking forward to seeing you again.Your mom is obviously a wonderful person, and she has raised a wonderfully warm and talented girl, that's you!

NB said...

Your mom touched so many people’s lives in her own special way and she will continue to live within all of us who remember her fondly. But most importantly, she lives within you- not only in your heart, but in the way you see things, say things and do things..