Tuesday, 12 July 2011

Julie & Julia: Cooked to absolute perfection!

I changed my blog title with the intention to blog more on my travel experiences. And looks like that’s when I have more of other stuffs to rattle about. Inspirations pouring in but as usual not much time at hand or I’m just lazy (the later more likely). On the evenings without plan, I don’t feel like moving from the couch. Not even to make dinner. Haven’t been exercising much either. What a Bum!

Anyway, getting to the point of this blog, for the last 2 months month or so, I’ve been meaning to write a review on two amazing movies that touched my heart. Julie & Julia one of the 2009 Oscar nomination and another hindi movie called Guzaarish. I’ll start with Julie and Julia.

Though nominated for Oscar last year, I only just got around watching it. To be honest, I never really had the urge to watch it last year when everyone were raving on it. Brushed it of as another boring drama.(remember The Reader?) But how so wrong could I have been. For those who haven’t and would like to watch the movie, warning of spoilers ahead.

To sum it up, it’s a feel good movie about two women from two different time and age, sharing the same passion. for Cooking. The movie shows the life of the famous chef, Julia Child, her beginnings and way to success in 1950's as it intertwines to Julie's life at the present time and how Julia's life affects Julie's. It’s based on two books/writings. Julia Child's book on her French cooking experience and Julie's blog who was inspired by Julia (thru her book and shows) where she tries to cook her way through all of her recipes in a year, which eventually made her into a popular blogger and writer. The blog is still there. (I looked it up) Apart from the fact that Julie’s been idolizing Julia since her childhood and both their passion for cooking (and of course both very happily married to husbands who adore them) there isn’t much connection nor similarity between these two women or their lives. So different yet so similar.

Julie and Julia is a true story of Julie who lives a boring and unsuccessful life. . Julie, played by Amy Adams appears to be someone not so happy with her life and of course work as a telephone operator for an insurance company, dealing with mostly post 9/11 victims. but she is happily married to a husband who encourages her to do things. She decided to make her life worthy by cooking and blogging about Julia's recipes in 365 days. Julia on the other hand is played by the extremely talented Meryl Streep, a much more matured character is introduced in a scene where she moves into this beautiful house in Paris with husband who is a government official. She kicks starts her new life in a land where they speak a different language with such positive outlook. In her bursting with joy and over reacting way, which suited her so well. I can’t decide if the role was made for her or she made for the role. Either way, excellent choice of casting and her best movie for me.


The movie itself, to me is about what living and loving the life we live in should be like. Deciding what makes us happy and doing just that or at least trying to do it in the best way we can. The movie is so simple yet meaningful and relatable to many. It’s amazing how Julie discovers a lot of things about herself while working her way through the recipes. And the joy Julia finds when she finally is able to chop the onions like a professional (quite a funny scene I have to say). The challenge she thought she must take up. And then the humor and the sentiments. Like the scene where Julia hears about her sister’s pregnancy. the way her hurt was portrayed without having to say much. My tears welled up for her. Just enough to tickle your senses and then warm you up a little. Like the part when Julie’s husband gives her a toast. Can’t remember if it was for her birthday or before that.. “You are the butter to my bread, you are the breath to my life” just as Julia’s husband said to her.

While Julia @ Meryl Streep was my favorite cast in the movie, most of the other characters were equally brilliant. Like Stanley Tucci who plays Julia’s husband. I’ve always liked him. He managed to make his character completely watchable and real. I actually found myself admiring the character, the kind of husband he was. Same goes for Julie’s husband, Eric. And finally Julie. Amy Adams did such a wonderful job. There were so many scenes made me fall in love with her. Trying egg for the first time and compares it to cheese, the lobster scene.. her birthday (I think) when her husband buys her the not so expensive pearl necklace. The emotional part was cut short by offering the cakes to guest but her emotions did linger for a while after that.

I can go on and on with the scenes from the movie for the number of times I’ve watched it now. But I’ll stop. At least for those of you who haven’t watched it (but chose to continue reading this entry after the spoiler warning).. My only disappointment would be the ending. The film ends with the revelation that Julia does not approve of Julie’s blog. What a strange ending after such a feel good build up.

Overall the movie is terrific and I can watch it again and again. It’s endearing, funny, charming and entertaining. It perfectly illustrates the most common advice we get or read.. that you don’t achieve success by striving to be successful, but rather by working hard at your passions and what you believe in.

No comments: