Wednesday, 19 April 2006

Past time

I am a bit bored. things are a bit laid back in the office today and the rest of the week, before i'm back to suitcasing again (sigh) .. Since I have loads of time (i'm quite sure my manager won't read this. fingers crossed), tot i'll write something.. London's known for the various theaters and musicals.. And since this attraction also happens to be one of my interests, I've planned on watching at least one show a month and hopefully cover most of it by the time I head back. If not because of the ££ (£30 averageage with some up to £60 even), I'll definitely watch one a week. Anyway, Have done 4 so far.

The Lion King is a MUST for anyone who comes to London. You'll never ever regret it. take my words for this. It does follow the story of the film pretty much to the letter. The opening was truly amazing, as is the start of the show post interval and the finale. if you're a softie like me, it stirs what I love about theatre, a lump in the throat and prickling on the back of your neck! performance was flawless, ok maybe coz its been running for ages. The soundtrack. what can I say? Sir Elton John is a genius.. "Can you feel the love tonight..?" was Perfect with the scene. I would whole heartedly recommend this to any one, even if you are not a theatre person. I'd be more surprised if you didn't enjoy it! I am so gonna watch it again. planning to take my sista when she comes down for summer.

Fame, the next one is the liveliest musical I've ever watched. Very entertaining. A bunch of students from a legendary School of Performing Arts climb the ladder to their ultimate goal, Fame. It follows the highs, the lows, the romances and the ultimate triumphs of the star struck pupils. The thing about Fame is also the fact that its not just a feel-good musical but the realism of its characters that we can relate to ourselves. my favorite in the entire show was the finale where the entire crowd stood up and sang along for the legendary "Fame! I'm gonna live forever..." It's a shame that Fame is ending soon though.

STOMP, is the worst show I've ever watched. Its supposed to be a performance group that is unique where they use broomsticks, pots and pans, garbage cans, and even kitchen sinks in a mostly-percussive manner to make music. Not sure if it would better if they include sounds that are also melodic, instead of just percussive. I know, I'm not a specialist in this area. just a thought. Plus, I was more than glad to be seated in the upper circle as the music got too loud that contemplated leaving halfway thru. Thanks to the bits of humour here and there that kept me going to make my ££ worth at least.. So, overall, I totally did not enjoy Stomp and would never go again even if it was for free.

The last one is Les Misérables. I went for show last nite, so, its still fresh in my memory. I didn't expect much when I went to see it since a few friends warned saying its very sad and depressing. I don't fancy depressing shows. But I have to say that despite that and the fact that I only slept a couple of hours the night before with a tiring weekend, I found Les Miserables rather good. A heart-wrenching story of the life of a man in desperate times. The set was cleverly arranged but simple. The costumes were nothing extravagant but very captivating. The storyline and the actors were so convincing. The music and issues clenches your heart. Though I didnt cry the river, some parts were very touching, especially whefavoriter favourite characters die one after another. Its not a show I'll want to go again, but it one good show.

Next in my wish list are Mamma mia, Billy Elliot, Phantom of the Opera and Mary Poppins..

No comments: