Wednesday, 5 December 2007

in the spirit of holiday..

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile. Got it in one of the forwards this morning. Yes! Its that time of the year.. When the spirt's up, when you start getting a little cheesy, start looking back at all the good things that happened (while trying hard to get rid of the bad ones) and start making new resolutions though they are just rewording of the last year’s.. where mine certainly includes, religious gym, healthy eating, bla blah.. (*exhaling)

Xmas was just another day of visiting friends, like Eid or CNY when I grew up. Apart from the Singapore trip almost every year to see the lights in Orchard Road. that plus the school holidays means more TV. But it became more significant to my family after the few years we spent in Mexico. Almost ninety five percent of Mexicans are Catholic. Don’t get me started on the beautiful and unique cathedrals they have. I can go on and on. So, xmas in Mexico was different. Though many Mexican homes reflect the similar western decorations of Christmas trees and blazes of outdoor lighting, especially where my parents lived, beautiful, a lot of them still practice the less commercialized way of honoring the Christ child. They proudly display their miniature nativity scenes inside their homes. In Mexico, the baby Jesus is conspicuously missing from his cradle until Christmas Eve, where he is put on the cradle and the celebration begins. There were also a variety of special events for the Lakeside community, bringing the real meaning of Christmas ever closer to hearts. Mum bought a very beautiful miniature set of nativity back when they came back for good, which she religiously displayed every Christmas since. I believe as much as she did, that you don’t have to be a Christian to value these things and other religions..

That said, every exams since then has been good (except for the last one most definitely). To me is a holiday season. Everyone is in happy mood. Colors, lights, presents, music, and most importantly family time. I miss walking through the streets & shops in London looking at the beautiful decos, feat to the eyes, carols filling your ears and the cheerful crowd simply filling your heart with the holiday spirit.. Mind you, its not bad here in Msia too. Not sure if it has been like this, or me just started noticing, decos and lights and everything are everywhere. But then, while I love this whole pre-xmas bizarre, I wonder what ever happened to the "Twelve days of Christmas?".. But what the heck, who’ll say no to fun ahead? Not me. Thanks to Jo who tols me the tale behidn the 12 days, and even sang it to me.

This year, i’ll be in India or rather getting to Chennai on Xmas day. Nothing much during the day. Last minute packing or busy making calls inviting friends & families for mum’s one year prayer when I return. It’ll be exactly a year since she left us, since I decided to come back for good, since my whole world took a sudden turn, when I cried. out loud on my cousin's lap when he told me she is no more at the airport carpark. I screamed. On top of my voice. I yelled. I hit him. all the way home. and when the car stopped in front of my house full of people, I refuse to get out. to face the reality that she is no more and I did not even get the chance to say goodbye. Her funeral on my birthday is there. Ever so clearly on my mind. watching her leave the house knowing she's never coming back... will I ever to get over this? Its been almost one year and I cannot think of it or the fact that she is actually gone for good without bursting into tears. How many times, have I cried in front of strangers, friends or even colleagues...

I didn't mean for this post to end up like this. Its supposed to be on the holiday spirit.. enjoy the shots below, some of the Christmas deco in our neighbourhood when in Guadalajara, Mexico. beautiful enh? very creative too..
















No comments: