Since everyone's giving their piece of mind on the ever spoken about topic in the last month, World Cup 2006, I thought, why not me? so, here it is, mine on a postcard...
Thou not a die hard fan, I try and follow most of the important EPL, Champ League matches, Euro cup and of course the World Cup.. I think it was during the 1998 World cup, I got interested in football. I was doing my first year in campus ( gosh! feels like just yesterday) the memories of waking up wee hours in the morning, walking to the main TV room, which was about 10 mins walk and the only place we had tv back then. d' good olde times.*sigh*
Along the way, I grew to learn both the technicality and politics (or rather fanatism) of the game. This especially during my Soton days. it took me a while to understand the passion these people have for their favorite sport.. THAT look on their faces the day they lost to the French during Euro '04 was absolutely astounding.. I was totally taken aback on how much winning meant to them. It wasn't juat a game, it was patriotism. Just the way India and Pakistan feels for cricket i believe...
I've watched my first and only EPL match with S & V. The Saints were playing against Chelsea in May 2004. the Chelsea prior to their 'commercialisation' of course.. I was given strict instructions not to wear or carry anything to do with the saints (though it was them we were supporting!) as the match was in Stamford Bridge and our seats were at chelsea supporters side. Not taking chances of getting bashed up of course! It was a great experience and certainly made me appreciate the game more.. well, now that I'm back in England, I should try and catch a match sometime. Might try my luck with a West Ham match next season. WHUFC is so close to me. Although yes, Arsenal game would be brilliant!
So, anyway, back to WC. I wasn't particularly routing for any team this time. I would have loved to see England stay longer thou. If not for it being my temporary home, at least to feel the spirits going among the fans who, trust me, can be way more than passionate when it comes to defending their national team. watched the Eng-Por with the gals (N, T and C) and A who came down from Aberdeen for the weekend. We were suppose to watch it on the big screen in Canary Wharf but found out last minute that public screening for all matches throughout England had been banned due to fights in previous matches... ended up in @Ruby blues, Leicester Square.
The match started off normal with the fans frantically cheering or standing up every time an english player gets the ball. blocking our views, given our back row seat of course. frustrating. first half was still fine. it was 2nd half. Beck's injury caused a bit of a whinging and got louder .cheer for every single move made by the english.. the moment our dearest Rooney got flagged with a red card, PHOOOF! the whole place turned upside down. aggressive and violent that bottles and God knows what all started flying around! we left immediately. not turning back.. The situation was totally out of control that u dun know who is gonna get hit with a bottle.. relieved, we got downstairs to see a more decent crowd intensely watching the match. Obviously there were no seats available. But who cares about chairs? we just took our weight off the feet on the floor, right in front of the screen closely followed the rest of the match. which as we all know, ended rather tragically. Penalty game point has never really been their cup of tea, has it? and loosing a match on penalty shoot out is such a shame..But, despite their not particularly convincing performance in the previous matches, I think their 10 men team performance was brilliant and I think they didnt deserve the defeat. not to Portugal, the drama queens at least.
With the earlier scene over Rooney's sent off, we should have known better on what to expect on a post-disappointing-match.. As we walked out of @Ruby blues, there it was, live show of cops battling over a bunch of furious fans daring to do anything to express their disappointment, even if it means bashing up the cops! Talk about patriotism, when packed with football and defeat.. the consequences, not something you want to see!
So, after a month full of huh hahs, we are almost reaching the finale of the once in 4 year hype. most people feel the cup will travel France. I personally wish well for the Italians.. Good luck guys!
With the earlier scene over Rooney's sent off, we should have known better on what to expect on a post-disappointing-match.. As we walked out of @Ruby blues, there it was, live show of cops battling over a bunch of furious fans daring to do anything to express their disappointment, even if it means bashing up the cops! Talk about patriotism, when packed with football and defeat.. the consequences, not something you want to see!
So, after a month full of huh hahs, we are almost reaching the finale of the once in 4 year hype. most people feel the cup will travel France. I personally wish well for the Italians.. Good luck guys!
ps: do read the World cup 2006, expressed in a poem by Cocoman .. well written.


2 comments:
Yeah, they're 10 man performance was good. Losing on apenalty to a team like that was very dissapoiting. Especially after watching Argentina lose out on penalties as well. Gah!
Hey sunshine..
Danke for the promotion.. :)
2 more days and ppl will start talking again abt the Wimbeldon, US-Iran, North Korea and all..
c0c0nut.
Post a Comment