Thursday, 16 March 2006

Auntie

My flatmate Jo's mum called last nite. It was my first time talking to her, though I've heard so much about her from Jo and vice versa. The joke was , although she introduced herself as 'Gill', I couldn't resist but call her 'auntie'.

That's because back at home (as in Malaysia of course), its only natural to address anyone older than you (as in much older, like ur mum or gran) as auntie, 'makcik' (in malay) or 'ah so' (in Chinese). This I mean applies for anyone. Not just your relatives or frens. u call the old lady selling vegetables in the market 'mak cik' and the man at the carpark counter dispensing tickets 'uncle'. Its kind of rude otherwise. I can never imagine calling my fren's parents or my dad's frens by their names (and neither do they introduce themselves that way). It will be rude and I mean extremely rude.

My friend Dan was over for dinner and heard my conversation with auntie (see what i mean? i can't resist). Dan is half Malaysian (or so he says though apart from his mum being from Malaysia and he has been there a few times, you can never guess he has relation to the country).. He started laughing and said I might have confused her (or perhaps even offended her?)...I mentioned it to Jo when she got back and we had a good laugh about it. She promised to clarify with her mum though.. :)

No comments: