Tuesday, 14 March 2006

Bollywood

Weekends come and weekends go.. I hardly did anything. not that I planned to do much either.. but on Sunday, me and Navee went to Ilford (one of those places in london you'll hv doubt if u've landed in India by mistake) to catch a bollywood movie. I love watching bollywood movies. Simply because they make you laugh more than making any sense. Okie, back to my weekend movie, 'Rang de Basanthi' was not one of those rom-coms bollywood's famous for. It’s the kind of movie that makes you laugh, think and sob (no, I didn’t. well ok, I got a bit teary at some point. but that’s normal. I was watching a bollywood movie for heaven's sake!)..


It’s a movie about patriotism. But unlike the normal Indian patriotic movies that either takes you back to the golden era of 50s or some super hero trying to save the country from a bunch of terrorist, this movie straddles between two different time periods. The first, a contemporary setting revolving around a group of friends who are just interested in having fun, beer guzzlers who are never serious about anything in life and the second is pre-independence India, revolving around some very famous freedom fighters like bhagat singh.

The very humorous and fun-loving first plot blending along the serious stuff of the second one was quite well done. I wasn’t all that impressed with the ending though. Yes, the message was clear. Urging the youth of today to take more responsibility for the well being of the country. great. but the very extreme way chosen to bring the truth to light wasn’t setting a good example. its not practical in other words. at least not to me. not sure if it would make any difference if I was from India. values like patriotism, sacrificing oneself for the sake of country are just beautiful words that I don’t or can't relate to… Overall, it was good movie that definitely ought to be seen.

No comments: