One of my little project after getting back was to redecorate or give my bedroom a makeover. The thing is, i've never actually lived in that room. Me and sis used to share a room during my teen days. I moved downstairs to my current room just after *SPM. but it was just officially mine because I moved out to go college right after that. I did come back every fortnight or so, but most of my stuff were in JB and a suitcase was all I lived on for the weekends. End of my first year, parents moved to Mexico. Dad was sent there for a project. Me & Bro stayed back since we were already at college. Sis followed parents and completed the rest of her high school there. Me and Bro visited them every semester break, twice a year that was. they were there for 3 years. I graduated just as they got back and moved to KL for work. The room once again became my weekend fling. Then I left for UK to further studies. When I go back for about a year or so, I stayed in B*ngsar and moved back to UK. So basically, to cut the long story short, this is the first time i'm actually staying in the room.
The room is great. I love it. I love my bathroom especially. Mum did it up when I was studying in the UK and it was a surprise when I got back. All Black. I'd never change a bit of it. The wardrobe is built in, so nothing much can be done. Thought I can do with something less elaborate, the bed is OK. but the mattress is a definite a no no. It was passed on from my parent's room when they upgraded to King. Its super hard. Dad got it coz of his back pain. Trust me, if feels like sleeping on a rock with a sheet over. I've got a thick mattress protector that does it make it slightly better, but just temporary. i'm so getting a new one.
As for now, i'm slightly more than halfway thru the project.. and already over the budget (how typical of me!).. but what the hack, it is after all my own private space in which I do spend a lot of time in. so far I've got:
1. Chest drawer - RM500
2. A new bedsheet & pillows etc (all on maroon shade)- RM500
3. Maroon round shaped carpet - RM800 (this was a bit of a blow, but worth every penny. got it custom shaped from Lorenzo)
4. Rattan laundry basket c- RM130
4. Framed up most of my collections & other frames - RM350
Apart from that i've done some housekeeping on my wardrobe - which included removal of items that neither look, feel, nor fit right. Thought there won't be much left. But unfortunately, due to my unexplainable passion for shopping, space was still an issue. Sometimes i wonder where they came from. Ever heard of the phrase 'a cupboard full of cloths but nothing to wear'? I'm a living proof to that. I love shopping. For anything a women can have. Cloths, bags, shoes, jewelleries, cosmetics. There was a point when I wanted to become a fashion designer, just like i wanted to be an ID, Lawyer, Journalist, Photographer etc. hah. (don't laugh N) because the search for THE perfect outfit or shoe or bag or jewellery always fascinated me. But sometimes you go shopping and find a nice piece and you think: 'oh my god, I always wanted to have something like this!' And you buy it, but you never put it on. Why? Because you didn't think about how to match it with other pieces of your wardrobe. So when you come home and try it on one more time, you realize that you bought something you don't need or something that doesn't fit to your style... This happened to me lots of times. sigh.
My bro btw, was a bit taken with the number of shoes I have. Though I shop for most of the women stuff, Shoes are my major weakness. when the boxes arrived, first thing i did was unpack the one with my shoes to check they were all alright. apart from some dents here and there, no major damages. Thank God. (I insured them all for the exact values anyway. worst case scenario, i get to shop for more without guilt.heh) I wonder just how many are enough and how many are too much? can you ever have enough shoes? I dun think so. to me, nothing beats the pleasure of of self indulgence. and its definitely they best way to uplift your mood. works for me. (though the damage to the bank account does bring it back down) but then again, whats the point of working hard if you don't even get to spend it on things that makes you happy? grin
In the frenzy of the makeover, I spent a whole day yesterday reorganizing my wardrobe. working with ideas from John Maeda's The Laws of Simplicity article I read in one of my mums home deco books. I sorted all the stuff into categories. In the closet, I put together all the skirts, dresses, jackets, shirts, trousers etc. separate the party bags, casual bags and formals ones. making the the most used ones easily accessible. same for the shoes in the shoe closet. the result, a deliciously ordered wardrobe, thanks to John.
So, what else is left ..
1. Get the wall mounted racks/shelves for my books & DVD/CD collections.
2. Re-paint one of the wall in the room to a bright colour to complement the wall mountings and frames. Got the paint already. Plan to do it on Tuesday. And unlike the usual me, i plan on doing it my self. DIY ya.
3. And one of THE most important thing, air-cond. already ordered one. Dad's replacing the one in bro's room and study one shot. but i've asked the guys to hold on for a bit. until i'm done with the painting.
4. then there is this pair of country boy & girl statue I got from Mexico that I'd like to convert into lampshades. I know a place I can get it done. Just need to get it over.
5. Put up all the frames / arts/ collectibles
6. finally, not to forget a new mattress for a good night sleep
thats pretty much it. My target date for completion would be 18/05.. I'll put up some pictures when its done.
Sunday, 6 May 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
ahh makeovers ;) have fun - i love interior decorating ;) i did one last year for diwali for the living room on a shoestring budget - it looked awesome - but my mom didn;t like being restricted so now its back to how she likes it - dull! bah so much for my hardwork
ooh post photos once ure done ;)
Sorting out thngs huh....good good. I know u must have heap of things especially shoes. U always had the most shoes. Hahahahaha! As for me, i don't waste my money on my accesories anymore. Spending it more on Patmish. I think he got more shoes than me....I just love baby stuffs.
Vis: its always like that when u live with parents. though me and my mum fortunately hv similar taste in deco, i can't wait to decorate my own place sometime.. i'm almost there.. should be done by this weekend i guess. will post it soon.
Suba: don't think even my kids will be able to beat my shoe collection..hehe.. they are my pride and joy. btw, i should cm and visit u soon. havent seen Patmish in ages..
Post a Comment