Thursday, 27 March 2008

We ain't no Mamaks!

New Economic Policy (NEP) was formed in Malaysia during the Late Tunku’s days in the name of overcoming the socio economical gap between the minority Chinese and majority Malays in the country. It was even said to be a favor to the Malays in return of the citizenship for non-Malays (bullshit!) The policy by right officially ended in 1990, but always existed as the benefits to the malays have been on-going. UMNO even called for NEP come back in 2005. Though the non-malays were never happy, there hasn’t been much arguments over it.

But the issue has made its come back lately when the new Chief Minister of Penang decided to unleash the Policy in the state. Officially and non-officially. A call and promise for a transparent government. A lot of malays weren't so satisfied with the decision but it seems to be generally accepted. Even by PAS, the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party.

But not so apparently, when the Mamaks in Penang decided to hold a demonstration to protest. Yet another voice, following their recent official request to be lawfully called as 'Malays' and not 'Indians'. Illegalize the term 'Mamak' and Call us Malay, they have requested to the government. Makes me wonder, is the protest genuinely over NEP or merely an act to prove that they are more Malay than the Malays themselves? seems like the later to me.

I see religion and culture as two different things. Religion doesn't change one's culture. India is a good example of a nation with mutual culture and custom shared amongst the people with various religious views. Maybe it’s just the way Malaysia had been, with the ever so often misguided definition of the term ‘race’ and the unnecessary weight put on it. Defining character and acceptance by the race and not the individuality. I admit i'm not a saint myself. I can be judgemental for the silly reasons myself. Maybe this is part of what provoked them. But they don't realise what they are doing is like going to your mum when your brother refuse to share a toy. The 'politically' correct way to approach and get things but 'socially' so wrong because even if he gives it to you, its not sincere.

I looked up the term ‘race’ and among the many, at times conflicting definitions, "social and cultural characteristics as well as ancestry" I thought fits best. How does wearing a Kebaya make one more malay or less of an indian? What is so wrong to be a Muslim by ‘religion’ and Indian in ‘race’? How does that make you lest religious? Or less Malaysian for that matter? Its amazing how one minute we can proudly carry the ‘multi-cultural/ multi-racial’ flag, going on and on about offering and rejoicing the diversity and variety of thoughts and culture, but at the same time, questioning our own identity?

Maybe this doesn't relate to the topic, but its what lies within our hearts, and our values that should make us recognized, not the portrayal, the 'culture' or 'race' we belong to, or claim to belong. Because if otherwise, wouldn’t Salman Farsi, the self acclaimed son of Islam from the children of Adam, have been one of the first to denounce his race?

Read Petra's view on the matter. Spoken in his standard frank, straightforward, clear cut I-don't-care-what-you-think style!

side tracking a bit now..

I’m so impressed with myself. for the historical reference or example whatever you call it on Salman, to my point. Though this one is fresh from my recent book, Jesus & Muhammad, the pr0f0und differences & surpr1s1ng similarities I got from R in the quest of my latest interest on different religious views. reading ‘Wh0 was Jesus’ now.. it is a big deal because I was never big, or even small when it comes to history. never was my field. But over the years, I have to admit its my lost and is one of the top on my regret list. Especially with my passion for traveling and all. Its frustrating, when I look at a ruin or building just to admire the architectural beauty when others can appreciate the tale behind it. Thank heaven for Lonely Planet i'm not as lost anymore!

1 comment:

Nadia said...

being a mamak puts u in a rather marginalized position, esp in a country where one's race is all that matters. I guess some people just want to be safe and acknowledge.

Im a mamak, btw. 100% indian and proud of it :-)