Wednesday, 25 April 2007

my latest discovery

alright, to all the techies' out there, i may sound a bit jakun (means to outdated, old fashioned or something along that) but i am super pleased with my latest purchase, the 'USB MP3 Player Wireless FM Transmitter to Car Stereo Radio Cordless Adapter Modulator', phew! or a gadget that plays MP3 music from an USB device in the car, in a layman's term.. its cool!

The central locking system in my car is gone and needs replacement. (take it from me, never buy a K1a, and even if you have to, NOT *Spectra in a million years!).. so anyway, while at it, I told my dad to upgrade the stereo player to one with an USB port one shot. (dont ask me the connection between central locking and audio system in a car. i need one and this is the best time) Music is my only consolation for the amount of time I spend (and will be spending) on the road. There is only this much CDs I can buy. Cassettes are outdated, plus they don't last. Not a big fan of compiling songs and burning them onto cds either. Pure laziness. that leaves me with only one option. upgrade the stereo to one with USB port. I mean, think about it, all you need to do is, stick the ip0d into the the player and you have hundreds of your fav songs to play without having to reload discs or change cassettes. isnt that cool?!. so anyway, back to my discovery. My bro then said, why spend a thousand ringgit on a new player when u can get the transmitter for a couple of hundred bucks or even cheaper? just plug it to the cigarette lighter socket. 'what transmitter?' was my first reaction.. and thats when i got to know the existence of such a gadget. i looked it up on the net for reviews and they were not that bad. The prices ranged from RM60 for a basic one to RM200. I knew I had to get one. and so i did. yesterday evening.

my two cents worth.. the music, is definitely not CD quality, but neither is it very tinny or un-listenable, unless you're into classical music-la. I have used it only with a my ip0d, not a thumb drive. Not sure if that works ok, though the product description says OK. I can't seem to shuffle-play or select a playlist, but oh well, something is better than nothing. beggars can't be choosers right. For RM95, this is a not bad at all solution. It should be cheaper in KL. got mine in Sban to save the hassle of running up and down in case any problems. I might opt to replace the whole stereo player sometime. But since I don't intend to keep this car for long, this should do for now. I'd definitely recommend it.

Image grabbed from http://www.shoptronics.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's another one that looks like a cassette, but actually has a wire that plugs into the headphone slot of a player. Just plug the wire into an MP3 player and slot the cassette into the cassette player. Instant music. You just have to find a place to stash the player while you're driving though :P

God's Little Angel said...

hi Mala,
Got your blog from simon's and read through and I find your posting really interesting. I have added you blog into mine, Please feel free to drop by my blog to read my posts or comment if you wish. And, feel free to add my blog link at your blog.

Bye!