Tuesday, 17 April 2007

such is life?

How would you feel if you were presented with a whole bucket of ice-cream two minutes after being diagnosed *diabetic? that’s pretty much how I feel right now, or for the last 2 days for that matter. It’s almost 2 months since I got back from London. Amazing how time flies. So many things to keep me busy, I haven’t been doing what i should. Job hunting is not getting anywhere. applied for a few and attended several interviews. Got 2 offers so far but none seem suitable. Something or other doesn’t seem to fit. while I've not shut the door totally, i'm quite positive not to pursue either of it. no, i'm not being choosy, its just the circumstances i'm in now. what more since i'll be commuting from *Seremban. hell a lot of other things to be considered. sigh.

I attended an interview last Saturday. the first one I looked forward to after being back. the job had a combination of both *IT and 0perational audit which was what interested me most. Then the firm itself, any many others that made it look rather promising. I walked into the meeting room and the interviewer, Director of IA of the firm, a Belgian gave me the warmest welcome i've ever received frm an interviewer. and then his first question after our hi .. ‘I can see that you've stated in your cover letter that you are moving back to Malaysia for good, but would there be any chance that you’ll consider a move to Europe, Belgium specifically?’.. and that’s how it all started. 15 mins later, we agreed that I’m not suitable for the KL position. I’m not willing to totally give up what I’ve built in the last 4 years. I want some exposure in 0perational audit, but not do just that. for the next 55 minutes, there we were, discussing what he thinks suits me better. While the 0perational IA team operates from 3 different locations around the world, the *IT audit is based centrally in *Everberg. As such it’s only practical for an *IT auditor to be at one location. He explained the whole structure of IA team within the firm, how it operates and the job he is proposing itself. the position was not something he had planned for. he'll need to still discuss with the *IT audit Manager but was sure he'll agree. and while he totally understood my circumstances, he asked me to sleep over it and give him a call the next afternoon to meet up that evening if i'm positive with his proposition.

So, no way. Moving back to Europe was no where near an option. defeats all the purpose of my move back here. I knew that. But why was it such a difficult thing to admit. something about the job was so attractive and promising, i can't get my mind off it. anyway, I called him the next day and explained. He had actually spoken to the *IT audit Manager the night before who was apparently very receptive to the idea. but he said he understood. and today, he dropped an e-mail to thank for the time, and sorry for not being able to consider me for the KL position. should my circumstances change, i can get in touch with him. and I replied that he should do the same if there are possibilities for the position to be based in KL. That’s it. Chapter closed.. so, i guess, such is life. you don't always get what you want. even if you do, it may not arrive at the right moment. or when it finally does, you may no longer need it. Phew! i should hv been a philosopher! is it too late for a career switch? bleh.

when first got back, I wasn’t too sure of what I want to do. I know this time I’m in for a long term commitment. done and over with the ‘experience’ phase. and that, i guess means no more aud1t firms. plus, not sure how commuting from seremban will go along with the long hours.. its weird, until last Saturday, I was not at all serious with the job hunting. the later the better, i thought. what more with so much going on at home. now, i suddenly have this urge. the urge to settle in a job. I'm just hoping i won't settle for the second best. Patience has never been my virtue. especially when i've set my mind to something..

on another note, did any of you know that *Baileys Irish cream flavor (which btw is the best ever ice-cream in the world) or any other alcohol contained flavors are no longer marketed in Malaysia? How unfair!
Picture courtesy of haagen-dazs.com

7 comments:

Visithra said...

a lot of things arent available here ;)

never settle for second best - ull regret it ;)

sometimes it takes time - so dont worry about the time - wait till u get what u want - id rethink seremban though - heck im rethinking moving when i live only on the outskirts of kl - coz end of the day traffic distance n travel can take a toll on u

Anonymous said...

Take it from me. Don't commute if possible. It'll keep you sane. Plus never do something you're not interested in. Yeah, I learnt that recently. Sometimes the right things comes your way at the wrong time. But wrong things always come at the right time. So unfair one hmph

Visithra said...

bawangred - hello i keep telling u not to commute - do u listen? bah n u tell ppl - double bah ;p

Anonymous said...

Heh, vis you know me. I'm super stubborn :P

Visithra said...

wait wait ill tell anj - n we'll corner u again ;p

mala said...

Vis & BM: thanks and i'm hoping i won't have to as well..

almost everyone i know are scaring me on the thought of commuting frm sban.. but at the moment, circumstances are such. anyway, v r planning on getting a place there and perhaps mk it a second home. with bro commuting as well, both the exhaustion and cost for of driving up and down daily can be put to better use.

and btw BM, now that i'm back in sban for good, we should hook up sometime over a cuppa. its been a long time.

Visithra said...

yep theres the cost but most of all its the tiring part that im looking at

lol coffee with bm? yes thats a bit of a prob ;p hes busy ;p